About myself & this page
Updated: Feb 28, 2022
I have always been passionate about different cultures and promoting more understanding towards cultural differences instead of letting these differences become a focus for ignorance, social gaps and cultural conflicts. In my opinion, the diverse perspectives & different lifestyles exist in this world so we can learn from them but also learn from each other. My own cultural background being half-American & half-German, of course, plays an important role, too. All of these factors combined is what led me to study and get my Master of Arts degree in Cultural Sciences/Anthropology (Minors: Sociology and History) at the University of Bremen in 2011.
Nevertheless, during my studies I mainly gained expertise in conducting empirical research (narrative and expert interviews, participant observations and data analysis) on diverse topics in a multi-sited perspective, such as various ethnic communities, foreigners/foreignness, (im)migration, diversity, interculturality, transculturalism and cultural conflicts, etc.
I have also worked on different research projects :
1. linguistic experiment at the University of Bremen with the General Upper Model in 2009
2. Various small research projects during my studies (examples: immigration museums, Somali communities & their attitude towards after-school programs and many more)
3. MA thesis based on my own research in the UAE that was about foreigners & natives and how they deal with foreignness in 2009 & 2010
4. My participation in the research project concerning Egyptian communities in Germany in 2015
5. Composing a policy brief on water issues in Canada in 2016
6. My dissertation proposal from 2012 - 2016 on Egyptian families and how their lives have been impacted by the Arab Spring events
In my opinion, you can turn anything into a research project. Therefore, one of my goals for my page is to come up with at least one research project every 3 months and write about it. I hope it will bring some inspiration as well as enlightenment to my readers.ScientistFreelancWri & Cultural Scientist